Google Ads
Home Forums Links Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Pro DJ Forums > General Discussions > General Discusions

General Discusions This is where you can discuss general topics.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
PDF Newbie

Default DJ names

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I'm quite new to these forums, but I'd love to hear peoples stories as to how you came up with your DJ names and what the name means to you, I mean why is it signifigant? And how often do you use your aliases[sp?], maybe as a general nickname?

I'm asking because I've often seen in DJ forums people asking for advice on how to choose their DJ names and I think, well, what's the point in someone else choosing your DJ name? Surely it has to be something that's important or special to you? Otherwise why not just use your actual name?

I'm often surprised how often people don't get mine. I thought I was being very unsubtle. My Dose Makes Angels.
Sponsored Links
Your Ad Here!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
PDF Newbie

I used DJ Sci-Fire early on. I thought it was clever and catchy. No special meaning. Just thought it sounded cool.

My feeling is if you asked a bunch of DJs who've been doing it for a while like me, they'll all tell ya "it just sounded right" when they chose it.

Dont' get me wrong...take your DJ name seriously. but don't look in books of poetry... get me?

Easy,
-DJDW-
Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 AM
PDF Senior Member

I have several aliases, and each one has a story, but I won't tell them all here.

tranqui is the name people will see on my website, myspace and every dj forum that I frequent. using this nick, I am straightforward and loud about everything I like and especially everything I dislike. political correctness does not exist. I don't care much what people think about this side of mine that I show, because it was intended for the internet from the very beginning. some people like my attitude, others literally hate it, but generally, it works.

however, I also have other "identities" which never refer to one another. also, making a connection to tranqui is simply impossible (except when you compare pictures, maybe). two of them are used for live performances und upcoming releases - one for minimal, techno and electro, the other for breaks and drum'n bass.

I found it necessary to use separate names for the different things I do, because people like to categorize. also, I sometimes do gigs just for fun in locations that I don't want people to associate with a certain name... so then I just use a throw-away name, and inform a selected group of people who "this weird guy" really is ^^

as to real names, which lots of people use as their artist name - mine is not suitable for that AT ALL, I only use it in everyday business affairs. also, I think using one's real name is something rather risky, especially when you are just starting out...
Old 04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
PDF Member

Its funny some1 posted this up cuz, Recently, I was thinkin bout changin up

my name. (Due to so many DJ Boogie sumthins out there) But Im not...

Ive been Boogie Bhang For a while now. I got the Name Boogie from movin

from the BX borough to CT in 1993, and ppl jus started callin me that dude

from the boogie down bronx. and boogie jus became my everyday name. The

bhang...well it comes from thru out the years the constant bangin from

neighbors under me, next to me, above me, (bangin) the floors wit brooms,

feet, and complainin bout my bangin the muzik 2 loud. so i jus put 2 and 2

together and DJ Boogie Bhang is who I became to be. I added the h cuz(pardon my french) muzik iz not all Boogie Bhangz...lol

Last edited by DJ BooGiE Bhang : 04-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Great stories guys. My girlfriend gave me my name. I wanted to use DJ Vbyz but she kept telling me to go with SpAzZ. So, because I really value her opinion, I went with it. I'm glad I did.
..........Serato Itch v1.5
.......Stanton M.207 Mixer
.........Apple Macbook Pro
Sponsored Links
DJ EVENT PLANNER!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
PDF Newbie

Talking Name truly fits

I got my name right after college in 93. It fits me because I'm 6'8" and over three hundred pounds. The sc at the end is to seperate me from the other dj's that have acquired my name over the years.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
PDF Newbie

Mine, was real tough to come up with.
DJ+my name(sally)= DJ Sally.

I know, I know, It's this complicated mind of mine.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
PDF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxxxlsc View Post
It fits me because I'm 6'8" and over three hundred pounds.
woot... don't anybody f*k around with this guy! hehe.
I bet you have no problems with dumb requests from the crowd
Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM
PDF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dose Makes Angels View Post
I'm often surprised how often people don't get mine. I thought I was being very unsubtle. My Dose Makes Angels.
haha.... I love it. Two meanings in one :P
And if anyone needs to know what MDMA is, just ask :P
lol

SO... my name. Jynxx.
I wanted a name that started with the first letter of my real name.... Joe.
I have a huge thing for Ninja, and one of my favorite Ninja characters is Jinx from G.I. Joe.... and so before I was even a DJ I was using Jynx as an alias. I started DJing in 1990 when I was 14, and so started using DJ Jynx. Then I saw a couple other people with the name Jynx, so I made it Jynxx. It looks better anyway
Since then there are WAY more people who know me as Jynxx or Jy (pronounced "GEE") rather than my real name. Even all my best friends, who I have known for like 10-15 years all call me Jy or Jynxx. I just found out I have been hanging out with one guy for 8 years and he NEVER knew my name was Joe!! He stopped over at my moms the other day when I was there and he felt weird cuz he had to ask for Jynxx! Luckily my mom is used to it, so it didn't even phase her.

By the way, my name does NOT mean that I am a JINX. Different word means different definition! I say that my name Jynxx means that I am bad luck to the competition. I had an intro done by MC Breed for a radio show I did a while back and he said "He's the competitions bane, and thats how he got his name... JYNXX!".
Ahh I wish I had that intro still!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
PDF Newbie

Well, I have two names that I use...

"The Hitman" came about when I was working in Georgia. I was DJ'ing a gig, when an old coot in the stereotypical flannel and suspenders came up after hearing me on the mic, looked me over and said "You ain't from around here, is you, boy?"

I said, "No. I'm from Detroit."

After looking me up and down again, he paused and then replied with a thich drawl, "Only two kinds of people come from Detroit- Autoworkers and Hitmen. And you don't look like no Autoworker!"

And it stuck!

As for DJ Midnight, that came about doing clubs, as midnight was when I would jump on the bar, showering people down on the dance floor with a big canister of CO2, (Hold it upside down, it sprays out very cold. Great for cooling down a hot dance floor!) and yelling about shots, or Hot Body contests, or getting women to dance on the bar, etc. Midnight became so popular, that the audience started calling me "DJ Midnight."

I still use both, or my real name when doing weddings, or the like.
Sponsored Links
Your Ad Here!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
PDF Member

I got mine when I used to work in her majesties royal mounted army brigade. I was known as agent, charlie-zulu-bravo-hector-wiskey-foxtrot-codezebra-henry-delta-minefield-tango-rambo-lonewolf. Most folks couldn't say the whole thing over the air before they were killed or captured so we shortened it to agent "boomshaker".
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
PDF Junior Member

some good stories.

mine is ***, I had my company first "Rotation Entertainment" and needed a DJ name, so being that I am not very creative, out came DJ Rotate.

I don't really like it, but it has stuck and it's who i am. Plus i never really heard of another DJ Rotate, so I guess It's original.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
PDF Newbie

Red face Psychedelic Princess more known as PSY PRINCESS

I mix Psy-trance music so when it was time to name myself my friends suggested Psy Princess because of my feminine touch to the psytrance scene. u wont ever see this girl at any rave dressed all grungy, oh no im the Paris Hilton of Raves hahaha. i know that sounds bad but u asked my story!

www.myspace.com/dioraddict619

PSY PRINCESS the One the Only
Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Fluepotrulp

Default One Tree Hill Online Stream

Watch One Tree Hill online seoson 7 and all old season with a High Quality online for free.

Watch-onetreehill-online.info offers a One Tree Hill online streaming for the most famous tv show in USA.

Select your episode and watch it with a very high quality now and discuses about the episodes with other OTH fans all around the world from USA from Russian from Indonesia and share your thought about the episode and how to improve the show more how damn simple is that???

Episodes updated every week votes for the best episode updated too
Current Episode 15 :)

Thanks guys and hope you enjoy watching :)

My regards and sorry if I posted this in wrong section :)
And this is the latest new tv shows
صور بنات‫-‬سكس
Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
PDF Newbie

pretty good stories here!

Mines DJ Werk, obviously, and I'm new here and haven't really made a known name for myself yet, but the name started when I had my old BMW e30.
It had a sticker on it that said "Do Work Son"
I called it the werkmobile because "werk" seemed more german than "work"
then when i started tagging and such, i used the name "Werk" because the letters flowed nicely. I have a few hats where I'd right things on the bills, and it usually said "Werk" or "Riot"...my other tagging alias.
DJ Riot seemed too cliche and not unique enough for me, so I came up with DJ Werk!

My graphic design company is called Riot Designs, but its no where near the professional level yet.
Sponsored Links
Your Ad Here!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 AM
PDF Newbie

my dj name(dj iceman) came about cause when i started in 82 i was nine and i wanted a cool dj name (cause robby rob wasnt gonna cut it lol) so being 9 i figured whos cooled than iceman(from the x-men) so i stared with dj iceman and it stuck
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
PDF Newbie

i just use my real name ha! i've been djing for 10+ years and i just could not come up with a name that i felt comfortable committing to. so hey i just figured at least ppl from high school would recognize my name that way and i'd get more fans. lol. it'd still be cool to have a good name. maybe somebody will dub me something someday.

Follow me on http://twitter.com/dj_jonzamora
Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
PDF Newbie

last name is marz, and my lucky # is 21....

**** just wrote itself i guess....
Sponsored Links